Carhartt Temp Ratings vs. Insulation Weight
Carhartt does not release temperature ratings on its products. This is very common among clothing manufacturers. The legal implications make it prohibitive.
General rules of thumb:
- Don’t be fooled by fabric weight. If it says “12-ounce, heavyweight 100% cotton duck” or “1000-denier Cordura nylon” these are reflective of the fabric’s durability – not its insulation.
- Pay attention to linings. The warmest gear Carhartt makes is “Arctic Quilt-Lined” and “Flannel-Lined.”
- Features like waterproofing and water repellency can help by keeping you dry, but obviously, they don’t improve an insulation rating.
Murdoch’s can help you get around the lack of Carhartt temp ratings to find warm Carhartt gear for the dropping temps.
- Click this link to find all Carhartt products at murdochs.com.
- Scroll down. At the very bottom of the left-hand filters, there is a red one that says “show more.” Click on that, and it will expand a big, long list.
- One of the options is “Insulated.” Click on it, and then select “Yes.”
- For this example, let’s say that you want an item that is at least water resistant, if not waterproof. Scroll down further, to the filter called “waterproof.” Click on it, then click on both “water resistant” and “waterproof.”
- Now, let’s pretend we really only want to see men’s biberalls and coveralls. Scroll to the top of the left-hand filter bar. Click on “Men’s,” then “Outerwear” then “Bibs/Coveralls”
- Do you envision yourself wearing the clothing in windy, snowy conditions like this guy? If so, you want the Yukon Extremes® biberalls or coveralls. If not, your options are:
o Quilt-lined – for typical winter days in the Rocky Mountain West.
o Arctic Quilt-lined – to keep you warm during the coldest days, but wind protection (which is a feature in the Yukon Extremes®) isn’t worth the investment for you.
Carhartt Rain Gear De-Mistified
When you’re shopping for Carhartt, you’ll notice that different items are labeled with different phrases to describe the degree to which it is waterproof...
The 1-2-3 Guide to Layering
Knowing the function of the layers used in the art of layering informs how you stay comfortable in the outdoors...
Deciphering the Carhartt Warranty Statement
If you really want to dig into the weeds, we’ve provided Carhartt’s official statement on warranties...