Smartwool Streamlines its Sock-Naming System
Your favorite socks are now easier to find.
Smartwool has made it easier than ever for you to find what you’re looking for with a new system to navigate its sock collections. Not to worry — you will still find the same number of Merino wool socks of the same quality and in the same styles that you’re used to. However, with the guidance of a streamlined naming structure, it’s simply easier to find the socks you’re looking for.
Your favorite socks are now grouped within a system of three tiers: Performance, Classic, and Everyday. Within each tier are categories to help refine your sock search.
PERFORMANCE TIER (formerly known as PhD®)
These socks are designed for athletes who require a higher level of comfort, fit, and durability during activities like hiking, skiing, running, hunting, and cycling.
- Performance Hike (formerly known as PhD® Outdoor)
- Performance Ski
- Performance Hunt Athlete Edition (formerly known as PhD® Pro): This collection is for alpinists, skiers, runners, and athletes who require advanced gear for their high-end pursuits.
No change here because, well, these are classics. The socks encompass the original 128 socks and are perfect for enthusiasts looking for the most comfortable sock for all their outdoor activities.
- Classic Hunt
EVERYDAY TIER (formerly known as Lifestyle)
This collection of socks is perfectly suited for people looking for exceptional comfort and style for everyday wear, and everyday life.
- No Show
- Low Ankle (formerly Micro)
- Ankle (formerly Mini)
- Mid Crew
- NEW Tall Crew
- OTC Over-The-Calf
CUSHIONINGTo provide more clarity on which level of cushioning is right for your desired activity, Smartwool has renamed these as well.
- Zero (formerly Ultra Light) - no cushioning
- Targeted (formerly Light Elite) – cushioning in toe and heel
- Light - cushioning along the bottom of the foot
- Full (formerly Medium) – cushioning throughout the entire sock
- Extra (formerly Heavy)– dense cushioning throughout the entire sock
- Maximum (formerly Extra Heavy)- more dense cushioning throughout the entire sock
Hiking Boot Buying Guide
The boots need to be a perfect fit for your feet and your hiking style. So, how do you choose the right boots?...
The 1-2-3 Guide to Layering
Knowing the function of the layers used in the art of layering informs how you stay comfortable in the outdoors...
To me, camping checklists (especially the printable ones) are by far the most fun ones to tick...